Hyderabad: Revenue and Housing Minister Ponguleti Srinivasa Reddy urged cement companies to supply Indiramma Indlu cement at reduced prices to lower construction costs for housing beneficiaries.
The minister held talks with representatives of cement companies at the Secretariat on Tuesday. The discussions focused on reducing cement costs for families building houses under the state government’s Indiramma Indlu scheme.
Ponguleti, who also held the Information and Public Relations portfolio, asked the industry to partner with the government in implementing the housing programme. He described Indiramma Indlu as more than a housing scheme. Instead, he said the programme aimed to provide poor families with dignity, social security and self-respect.
Indiramma Indlu cement support sought for 4.50 lakh houses
Ponguleti said the government had sanctioned 4.50 lakh Indiramma houses under the first phase across Telangana, excluding Hyderabad. According to the minister, slab work had been completed for 85% of those houses. Construction of the remaining 15% had reached different stages.
The scale of construction increased the requirement for Indiramma Indlu cement and other building materials across the state. Meanwhile, the government had sanctioned another 2.50 lakh houses under the second phase of the programme.
Ponguleti said 2,000 houses had been sanctioned in each Assembly constituency under the second phase. The state government also targeted the construction of one lakh houses within CURE limits, he said.
Additionally, the government had launched the Indiramma Towers project on an experimental basis in 16 Assembly constituencies.
Indiramma Indlu cement talks focus on beneficiary costs
The minister said Telangana provided ₹5 lakh in financial assistance with a 100% subsidy for poor families constructing houses. He claimed Telangana was the only state in the country providing housing assistance on those terms.
“Telangana is setting an example for the entire country in this regard,” Ponguleti said. He added that the government would not compromise on providing houses to poor families despite the financial burden involved.
According to Ponguleti, authorities had been releasing funds transparently every Monday. Beneficiaries received the assistance in instalments based on the progress of house construction. The government would continue discharging its responsibility until every poor family could live in its own house, he said.
Through the meeting, Ponguleti sought cooperation from cement manufacturers to further reduce the financial burden on beneficiaries. He asked the companies to support the housing programme by offering cement at lower prices.