Hyderabad: The Telangana High Court on Thursday questioned the State government over the journalist accreditation delay involving Working Journalists’ Accreditation Cards.
The vacation bench heard the matter after the Telangana Urdu Working Journalists Federation informed the court that officials had still not completed the renewal process despite earlier assurances.
The Federation earlier raised the issue before the High Court on May 14. It said accredited journalists across Telangana faced difficulties because officials did not renew their cards.
During Thursday’s hearing, the Additional Advocate General told the bench that the government would extend Media Accreditation Cards till June 16, 2026.
He also informed the Court that authorities would issue extension orders by Thursday evening.
Journalist accreditation delay affects reporters
During the hearing, respondent authorities told the Court that they had asked petitioners to submit a list of journalists who required extension of accreditation cards.
The Court observed that the issue affected the entire journalist community and not only the petitioners before the bench.
It remarked that authorities should not seek details only from petitioners when all accredited journalists faced the same problem.
The bench also noted that authorities had earlier assured the Division Bench that they would complete the extension process by May 31, 2026.
Later, the Court extended the deadline till June 16, 2026 through fresh directions.
Accordingly, the bench directed authorities to extend accreditation cards strictly as per the undertaking and judicial orders.
The Telangana Urdu Working Journalists Federation and others challenged GO 252 and its amendments before the High Court.
The petitioners alleged procedural irregularities in the implementation of the Government Order and the issuance of accreditation cards.
Advocate Barkat Ali Khan represented the Federation during the hearing.
The Court asked whether the delay had created hardship for journalists.
In response, Barkat Ali Khan told the bench that journalists faced serious practical difficulties because of the delay.
He said reporters could not freely access government departments, the Secretariat, official meetings and press briefings for news gathering.
He argued that the delay disrupted professional duties and violated freedom of speech and freedom of the press.
After hearing the arguments, the Court reportedly expressed displeasure over the delay and questioned authorities for not completing the process despite repeated assurances.
The High Court will continue monitoring implementation of its directions. The next hearing in the petitions challenging GO 252 is scheduled for June 16, 2026.