Hyderabad: Malkajgiri MP Eatala Rajender on Tuesday accused the state government of misleading the public with its 42% BC quota in local body elections, warning that courts are unlikely to uphold the decision.
At a press meet in Kamalapur, Hanumakonda, Rajender alleged that the Revanth Reddy-led government was staging a political drama under the guise of social justice. He said the Supreme Court had already invalidated similar quotas in Bihar and Maharashtra.
He recalled that courts had cancelled local body elections in Maharashtra after they were held. “Candidates lost huge amounts after investing in campaigns,” he said, citing those legal setbacks.
Rajender questioned why the government objects when people challenge the decision in court. “Ministers know the quota won’t survive scrutiny,” he said.
He urged sarpanch aspirants not to rush into campaign spending. “There is a chance the elections may not happen at all,” he warned.
Calling the quota a tactic to raise false hopes, Rajender said the government was toying with the aspirations of the backward classes.